First Reconciliation at St. Gabriel
Children in 2nd grade and CIC II (older students) generally receive the sacament of First Reconciliation in a communal service in the church. Preparation for this sacrament begins in the fall.
Preparation for this sacrament is done through our parish Faith Formation program and through Catholic schools in cooperation with the child’s parent(s) as the primary educator(s).
The First Reconciliation Service
- Following a brief service, the Act of Contrition (see below) is said by the congregation.
- Confessions by the CHILDREN ONLY follow.
- Children and their families are welcome to leave once they have completed their individual confes-sions and penance.
- This service usually lasts about 1.5 hours total.
First Reconciliation Service: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 6:30 in the church
The Act of Contrition Prayer
There are various versions of The Act of Contrition prayer, but the one that is taught to the 2nd grade students in both Faith Formation and St. Gabriel School classes is the one that will be said at the penance service. It is as follows:
Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You.
I detest all my sins because of your just punishments,
But most of all, because I have offended You, my God,
Who are good are deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace,
To confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life.
For more information about the 2nd grade 1st Reconciliation program, contact Kristen Rivera at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-362-5047, ext. 228.
For information about the CIC II 1st Reconciliation program (for older students), contact Trish Stewart at 704-362-5047, ext. 219, or email@example.com.
Important First Reconciliation Dates
First Reconciliation Parent Meetings
One or both parents must attend one:
- Thursday, September 29, 2016, at 9:30 am in the Ministry Center (EN ESPANOL)
- Thursday, September 29, 2016, at 6:30 pm in the Ministry Center
- Sunday, October 2, 2016, at 6:30 pm in the School Cafeteria (EN ESPANOL)
- Monday, October 3, 2016 at 6:30 pm in the Ministry Center
First Reconciliation Workshop
The child and one or both parents must attend one of these dates:
- Monday, November 14, 2016, at 6:30 pm in the CHURCH
- Thursday, November 17, 2016, at 6:30 pm in the CHURCH
First Reconciliation Service
Tuesday, November 29, 2016, at 6:30 pm in the church