Thinking about teaching Faith Formation or serving as an assistant? Find helpful information below.
Students who have been confirmed are welcome to volunteer as assistants.
For more information, please contact Kristen Rivera (K through 3rd Grade) at 704-362-5047, ext. 228, or firstname.lastname@example.org or Trish Stewart (4th through 8th Grades and CIC 1 & 2) at 704-362-5047, ext. 219, or email@example.com.
Teaching Faith Formation
#1 requirement: An interest in sharing knowledge of appreciation for our Catholic faith with the children in our community!
Other important qualities: Energy, enthusiasm, curiosity, dependability, patience, creativity, and adaptability.
Who teaches Faith Formation at St. Gabriel? Our parish Faith Formation teachers (called “catechists”) come from all walks of life: stay-at-home moms and dads, bank executives and architects, attorneys and school teachers, marketing professionals and CPAs, doctors, nurses and students. Few come with any special training to the job. But each person brings his or her own unique experiences and gifts to the program. And it is this extraordinary diversity that keeps this special ministry attuned to the changing needs and dynamic character that make up the St. Gabriel parish community.
A few important details to consider:
- Classes are taught for students in Kindergarten through 8th grade and High School. Four different class day/time options are offered:
- Sundays 1:45 to 3:00 p.m.
- Sundays 3:30 to 4:45 p.m.
- Sundays 6:30 to 7:45 p.m.
- Wednesdays 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- All classes are taught by teams of 2 or more co-catechists or catechists and assistants. Class size is generally kept to 15 to 20 students.
- All registration and sacramental preparation fees are waived for the children of catechists and assistants. It is not required that a catechist’s child(ren) be placed in his/her class.
- All training, teaching materials, classroom supplies and ongoing support are provided throughout the year.
- The Diocese of Charlotte requires all adults over the age of 18 to complete a criminal background check before beginning the volunteer program.
- The Diocese of Charlotte requires all adults over the age of 18 who work with children to complete the one-time “Protecting God’s Children” safe environment training, authorize a background check and complete several forms. Find information and training dates here.
- St. Gabriel requires an additional Catechist Information form be completed before beginning the volunteer program. This will be provided by the Faith Formation office.
- Catechist certification training modules will be offered throughout the year and all catechists are encouraged to attend.
- View our Faith Formation book library
- View our Faith Formation video library
- View a list of suggested websites for Faith Formation teachers
All volunteers who work with children, young people or vulnerable adults must complete "Protecting God's Children" training, authorize a background check, and complete several forms. Find details here.