Living Your Strengths
Welcome to Living Your Strengths!
Have you ever asked yourself what God wants you to do? Do you know what your God-given talents are? Can you recognize the God-given talents of others? “Living Your Strengths” (LYS) will help you do all of this and more. Below, find all the details on LYS, how to discover your Top 5 Themes of Talent and how to participate in a Journey Group.
What is Living Your Strengths (LYS)?
Have you ever asked yourself what God wants you to do? Do you know what your God-given talents are? Can you recognize the God-given talents of others? “Living Your Strengths” (LYS) will help you do all of this and more. The LYS system was developed by Dr. Donald Clifton of the Gallup Organization to help strengthen the spiritual commitment and connection that people feel to their churches and parishes. Our parish embarked on this journey in 2009, and the Gallup surveys we’ve conducted show that LYS is making a meaningful difference for our parish family!
LYS will enable you to:
- Discover your top five strengths, or talents
- Learn how to focus on your strengths, rather than your weaknesses
- Discern God’s will in your life by using your God-given talents
- Deepen your relationship with God and others
- Recognize the God-given talents in others
- Feel more “engaged” in our parish – develop and deepen your sense of belonging
The LYS journey includes:
- Taking an on-line assessment to discover your top 5 “Signature Themes” (talents). (See below)
- Opportunities to explore and deepen your understanding of your treasure of God-given talents through facilitated small “Journey Groups”, one-on-one coaching, and more. (See below)
How to Participate in Living Your Strengths (LYS)
1. Start by learning what your top 5 “Signature Themes” (talents) are. Here’s how:
First, obtain a code to take the on-line “StrengthsFinder assessment” and obtain the Living Your Strengths book by Albert Winseman to use in the journey group. There are 3 options:
- Purchase the book, "Living Your Strengths – Catholic Edition" (ISBN 1595620125) or the non-denominational edition (ISBN 1595620028) – from the church gift shop for $16, the parish office, or from Amazon.com. (Important: DO NOT buy a used book! Each book has a unique code in the back for taking the on-line assessment, which only works one time.) If you have financial difficulty with the purchase price of the book, please contact us for alternate arrangements.
- OR Purchase the e-book edition for Kindle, which contains the unique code as well. Cost is $15.
- OR Purchase a code to take the on-line "Clifton StrengthsFinder" for $15 from the Gallup website here. You can then purchase or borrow or a used Living Your Strengths book for use with your Journey Group.
Next, take the on-line “StrengthsFinder” assessment here using the unique access code in the back of your book, which can only be used once. This assessment will reveal your “Signature Themes” (top 5 talents/strengths).
Then, email your Signature Themes (top 5 talents) to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Explore and deepen your understanding of your treasure of God-given talents through these opportunities at St. Gabriel. We encourage you to take advantage of all of them!
- Participate in one of our popular facilitated small group journey sessions that are held quarterly.
- Meet with one of our parish LYS coaches to explore your strengths one-on-one.
- Attend semi-annual GPS (Growing Personal Strengths) meetings for those have completed a small group to share fellowship and learn more about using your top five talents.
- Take advantage of the wide range of spiritual growth opportunities and programs in our parish.
- Read Growing an Engaged Church, available from our church library and the sources listed above.
For more information about LYS
Contact Gina Clegg at email@example.com or 704-364-0553.
Email your top 5 “Signature Themes” (talents) to Gina Clegg at firstname.lastname@example.org.